Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Star Wars Day in Review

Well another Star Wars Day is in the books. I must say it is becoming a bigger deal each year. Of course having a slew of movies coming out, with casting announcements less than a week old, and a new television series on the way, does not hurt either!

In terms of news there really wasn't any great revelation. But with bombshells like the EU reboot and the Episode VII casting announcement, it is hard to top that! It was nice getting the full trailer for Rebels. It looks like a great show! I'm really looking forward to it. 

I think part of the issue was that the 4th was on a Sunday this year. Apparently that is not a good day in Hollywood to do major promotion work. I'm pleasantly surprised by this. 

It was awesome getting a short video from J.J. and Lawrence Kasdan wishing everyone a happy SW day! I loved seeing all the celebrities, from Wil Wheaton to Samuel L. Jackson, to new celeb John Boyega get into the spirit of things via Twitter and Facebook. 

There were some great shopping deals this year. Last year I got the enormous Blueprints hardcover book for a fantastic price plus a tee shirt from We Love Fine that has the Boba Fett logo on it. It is a pretty obscure SW reference and I have yet to meet someone who recognizes it outright. Quite a few think it is a Fender reference, given the "F" shape in it.



Well there were a lot more tee shirt options this year! I was disappointed in TeeFury's offerings this year - there were two - one was boring and the other just weird (a psychedelic Yoda). Fortunately We Love Fine had a great selection. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday studying the shirts. I like ones that have subtle references and are styled in a unique way. I picked out two but waited to order them on May 4th since it was 25% off. 

One thing I missed out on was the free May the Fourth pin over at Think Geek. You only had to spend $20 to get it. I put it off to tomorrow and they sold out. At least they still had the 20% deal for Star Wars merchandise. 

Lastly, over on Amazon I got a few graphic novels on Kindle. I'm not a huge comic book reader and the EU reboot makes this not as important reading, but 90% off is too good to pass up for some titles. 

Anyway, all in all it was a great Star Wars Day!


No comments: