Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My Star Wars Bracket

I have never been a huge basketball fan, but I always enjoy filling out a bracket for the NCAA tournament. With Star Wars fandom building to a fevered pitch with the release of The Force Awakens this December, I am more actively watching who will be the This Is Madness tournament over at starwars.com!

But since I missed the deadline to submit a bracket on Wookieepedia (darn it!), I thought I would write it up here on my blog.

I missed out on the Play In round, but here were the match-ups:

REBELS
Wedge Antilles, Threepio, Admiral Ackbar, Sabine Wren - WINNER: Sabine

JEDI
Ahsoka Tano, Kanan Jarrus, Luke Skywalker, Ezra Bridger - WINNER: Ahsoka

EMPIRE / SEPARATISTS
Admiral Piett, General Veers, Nute Gunray, Agent Kallus - WINNER: Piett

BOUNTY HUNTERS
Cad Bane, IG-88, Asajj Ventress, 4-LOM - WINNER: Ventress


Here are my picks for the Rule of Thirty-Two and Sixteen Strikes Back brackets:

REBELS
1 Artoo v 4 Sabine - WINNER: Artoo   [Artoo 75%]
2 Leia v 3 Hera - WINNER: Leia   [Leia 72%]
R2-D2 v Leia - WINNER: R2-D2   [Artoo 57%]

I'm curious what kind of showing the Rebels characters will have. They are so new to the galaxy, I can't imagine them upsetting Artoo or Leia. I think Artoo will have the sentimental attachment of people to vote him through. REVIEW: I nailed this bracket at least. It is hard to beat a character that has been in every Star Wars movie...at least to date!

JEDI
1 Obi-Wan v 4 Ahsoka Tano - WINNER: Obi-Wan   [Obi-Wan60%]
2 Yoda v 3 Qui-Gon - WINNER: Yoda   [Yoda 69%]
Obi-Wan v Yoda - WINNER: Yoda   [Obi-Wan 52%]

This is the most interesting bracket. I think Yoda will trounce Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan may struggle against Ahsoka. Still, I think it will still be a showdown with the past two winners and Yoda being the victor. REVIEW: Alas, Ahsoka...you were able to top Luke but Obi-Wan proved to be too strong. But you had the strongest showing of any non-film character. Well done! It is hard to beat one of the few characters who has been in every Star Wars movie and many Clone Wars episodes! Obi-Wan ekes out a win over Yoda! I knew it would be close, but I guessed wrong.

SCOUNDRELS

1 Chewie v 4 Zeb - WINNER: Chewie   [Chewie 85%]
2 Han v 3 Lando - WINNER: Han   [Han 86%]
Han v Chewie - WINNER: Han   [Han 69%]

Another Rebels character going up against Star Wars royalty. No way Zeb can pull this upset. Han should pull past Lando, even if he is a slimy, no-good swindler. Han against Chewie?! I have to give it to Han. REVIEW: Han destroyed Lando. I think this bodes well for his chances throughout this tournament! No love for the new "kid" on the block - Zeb. But this was hardly an even match-up! Nailed this bracket too, but this wasn't really hard to pick.

REPUBLIC

1 Padme v 4 Jar Jar - WINNER: Padme   [Jar Jar 62%]
2 Rex v 3 Gregor - WINNER: Rex   [Rex 75%]
Padme v Rex  - WINNER:Rex   [Rex 52%]

Yeesh. My faith in fandom will be confirmed if Rex emerges victorious from this bracket! REVIEW: Jar Jar beats Padme?! Bwah-hah-hah! I love it! Star Wars fans are the best. Rex squeeks by Jar Jar to advance. Phew! That was close. My bracket Republic bracket is saved!

EMPIRE/SEPARATISTS

1 Tarkin v 4 Piett - WINNER: Tarkin   [Tarkin 81%]
2 Grievous v 3 Inquisitor - WINNER: Grievous   [Grievous 66%]
Tarkin v Grievous - WINNER: Tarkin   [Tarkin 59%]

Tarkin is just too skilled and ruthless for any of these to oppose him. REVIEW: I am a little bit surprised at the turn out for the Inquisitor. So far the strongest showing of a Rebels character in the tournament. Of course, match-ups are everything! Tarkin emerges victorious as expected.

BOUNTY HUNTERS

1 Boba Fett v Asajj Ventress - WINNER: Boba Fett   [Boba 66%]
2 Jango Fett v 3 Greedo - WINNER: Jango Fett   [Jango 83%]
Boba vs Jango  - WINNER: Boba   [Boba 53%]

I really want Asajj to win. I am just burned out on the whol Mandalore/Fett thing. But you have to recognize brand awareness and Boba has it. Jango should fry poor Greedo without a problem. Father versus "son"? I'll choose the son. REVIEW: *Yawn*. Predictable and not terribly interesting.

SITH

1 Darth Vader v 4 Count Dooku - WINNER: Vader   [Vader 88%]
2 Emperor Palpatine v 3 Darth Maul - WINNER: Maul   [Maul 51%]
Vader v Maul  - WINNER: Vader   [Vader 75%]

This bracket is actually a bit tricky! The Maul-Emperor match-up could be close. But, regardless, Vader will come out of the Sith bracket on top. REVIEW: Maul ekes out a win over his former master! I was not expecting it to be that close. Vader decapitates Dooku a second time....well first time as Vader...last time he was Anakin...although he was a little Vader...you get the picture. Vader to Maul: "You don't know the POWER of the Dark Side!"

UNDERWORLD

1 Jabba v 4 Bib Fortuna - WINNER: Jabba   [Jabba 56%]
2 Pre Vizsla v 3 Hondo Ohnaka - WINNER: Hondo   [Pre Vizsla 56%]
Jabba v Hondo - WINNER: Jabba   [Jabba 67%]

Jabba versus his underling? Pleease. Pre Vizsla versus Hondo is more interesting. I really don't like Pre Vizsla as a character very much whereas Hondo is a lot of fun. I hope he makes it into Rebels? Either way, Jabba owns the Underworld bracket. REVIEW: I'm actually surprised that Jabba beat Bib by only six percent. That is a strong showing for a sychophant! Pre Vizsla wins because he is a Mando...*groan*. Hondo is such a better character. Jabba made short work of him.

32 & 16 WRAP UP: I am in very good shape so far. I lost Yoda for Duel of the Eights, but all my other picks are still viable. Jar Jar over Padme was my biggest surprise. I wonder with him being subject to 15 years of fandom hatred that people are coming around to liking him. Mandos are still a powerful draw for fans but I don't think anyone can overcome Jabba in the Underworld bracket.

Now we move on to the Duel of the Eights:

Artoo v Yoda - WINNER: Artoo  [Obi-Wan 60%]

Goodness this is a hard one. I am going with who I *hope* will win, but Yoda is a previous champion. Maybe the fans will want a new winner this year? REVIEW: With Obi-Wan beating Yoda in the previous round, I missed out on this one. Obi-Wan beats Artoo?! Nooooooooo! He may not recall owning a droid, but he owned this match-up.

Han v Rex - WINNER: Han   [Han 52%]

I love Captain Rex, but Han makes even a hardened princess swoon. I'll bet he will do the same with the voters. REVIEW: Wow this was *much* closer than I expected. Not bad for a clone!

Tarkin v Boba - WINNER: Boba   [Boba 59%]

I want Tarkin to win, but I think the Boba-bunch will marshall the votes to push him through. REVIEW: Fett is cruising in his 'vette to the Fate of the Four.

Vader v Jabba - WINNER: Vader   [Vader 54%]

Yeah, I don't think this will be that close. REVIEW: Whoa. Jabba almost pulled off an upset!

Now for the Fate of the Four:

Artoo v Han - WINNER: Han   [Obi-Wan 50%]

Man this is getting really hard now! As much as I want Artoo to win it all, I think everyone is cheering for Han. We know he has a prominent role in The Force Awakens and Harrison Ford managed to be a real-life hero when he safely landed his stalled airplane on a golf course in the heavily populated area around the Santa Monica airport. Han will win this.  REVIEW: Man! You can't get any closer than this! I demand a recount!

Boba v Vader - WINNER: Vader   [Vader 6%]

Brand names can only take you so far. Vader will be unleashed and Boba will be bantha poo doo.  REVIEW: This went as I expected.

The Championship Match: 

Han v Vader

Wow what a championship this will be! I can see this going either way. But I'll side with the light side of the Force....

2015 CHAMPION
HAN SOLO!
   [DARTH VADER 57%]

REVIEW: We have a new champion! I am left to wonder what would happen if it was Han versus Vader. That would have been very interesting. I suspect the desire to not have a repeat winner weighed on the voters.


Rebels

Sabine over Wedge, Threepio, Ackbar
Sabine loses to Artoo (25% vote) 1st round

Hera loses to Leia (28% vote) 1st round

Zeb loses to Chewie (15% vote) 1st round

Inquisitor loses to Grievous (34%) 1st round

Kanan loses to Ahsoka play-in
Ezra loses to Ahsoka play-in
Kallus loses to Piett play-in


THIRTY TWO
34 - Inquisitor (Grevious)
28 - Hera (Leia)
25 - Sabine (Artoo) defeats Wedge, Threepio, Ackbar in Play-In
15 - Zeb (Chewie)
0 - Kanan (Ahsoka)
0 - Ezra (Ahsoka)
0 - Kallus (Piett)







Clone Wars

Ahsoka over Kanan, Luke, Ezra
Ahsoka loses to Obi-Wan (40% vote) 1st round

Rex over Gregor (75%)
Rex over Jar Jar (52%)
Rex loses to Han (48%) 3rd round (Duel of Eights)

Ventress over Cad Bane, IG-88, 4-LOM
Ventress loses to Boba Fett (34%) 1st round

Pre Vizsla over Hondo Ohnaka (56%)
Pre Vizsla loses to Jabba (33%) 2nd round

Hondo Ohnaka loses to Pre Vizsla (44%)

Gregor losts to Rex (25%) 1st round

Cad Bane loses to Ventress play in


DUEL OF EIGHTS
48 - Rex (Han), defeats Gregor (75%) and Jar Jar (52%)

SIXTEEN
33 - Pre Vizsla (Jabba), defeats Hondo Ohnaka (56%)

THIRTY TWO
44 - Hondo (Pre Vizsla)
40 - Ahsoka (Obi-Wan), defeats Kanan, Luke, Ezra in Play-In
34 - Ventress (Boba Fett), defeats Cad Bane, IG-88, 4-LOM in Play-In
25 - Gregor (Rex)
xx - Cad Bane (Ventress)



No comments: