Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Introduction

I grew up with the original trilogy. I still vividly remember going to Burger King to collect stickers for the Empire Strikes Back book. You had to get four squares to form a picture of the movie - the asteroid escape, the Imperial walker attack, etc. I of course also had the Star Wars figures and am very thankful that parents held on to them for all these years.

I am now a proud father of the best little boy in the world (of course I am biased). I feel like I am having a second childhood - especially when it comes to Star Wars. This time last year (July 2007) I bought a Star Wars toy for the first time since the early 1980s. It was a Tie Fighter, similar to the one I played with incessantly as a kid myself. A year later and my son still plays with it!

His favorite Star Wars character also proved to be one of his first words - Boba Fett. When he saw the iconic T-shaped helmet in one of my Star Wars magazines, he pointed to it and said, "Boh-bah, Boh-bah!" I was so amazed, especially since he was my favorite character too as a kid.

We were cleaning up his toys tonight and he came across my old Lando figure. Now we know how slick Lando is (or he thinks he is), but do you know how my son remembers him? He grabs his own throat and makes a face - imitating the scene where Chewbacca is choking Lando while he tries to say,"Han! There is still time to save Han!" While I'm not thrilled about him pretending to choke and had to correct him on that, I was laughing inside about the first thing he thinks of as the ladies man of Star Wars!

The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences as being a Star Wars fan and raising a son who also happens to love Star Wars too. Please feel free to leave comments!

1 comment:

kmp said...

I like the new blog Rob. I think your spot on with your description of the little guy. He is adorable and as sweet as can be!! Are aunts biased too? :) Glad you guys had fun at the launch. Take care and hugs and kisses to the little guy! And hi to his mom too. Love you guys!