Sunday, March 2, 2014

Original Blu Ray Still Available

The Original Star Wars Blu Ray
I procrastinated and I almost missed it. I remember on Star Wars Day back in 2011 (May the Fourth), they announced that the entire Star Wars saga would be released on Blu Ray for the first time in September of that year. While I was excited about the release on a new format, I have been pretty underwhelmed by the whole Blu Ray thing. Yes it is incredible resolution, but the discs are slow to load and all the animated menus are more of an annoyance than convenience for me.

So September came and went and I could not bring myself to plop down close to three figures for another set of Star Wars movies. I already have the 2006 two disc original trilogy releases than included the original theatrical versions of the films, plus another set of the original trilogy from 2004 that includes a bonus disc featuring Empire of Dreams (which is a great documentary by the way).

Fast forward to 2013 and the announced sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. So now I am a little concerned about the availability of the Blu Ray set. I figured there would be a new release, and so there was. However, the releases did not feature the bonus discs in the original set. Now I am a little worried. I see that Amazon has the original set, but with the link to "buy it here" third party sites. The prices are not as good.

Well recently I have seen that Amazon has it back in stock themselves at a price of around $98. I was about to go ahead and buy it when I found it at Target yesterday for $88. This wasn't even a sale price. It seems lately that Amazon's prices have not been as good as they once were. Anyway, I went ahead to bought them and was thankful for the chance.

Now I will say, my wife was very kind to me by not rolling her eyes and asking me why I need *another* copy of the same set of movies. Of course, I have been indulgent in her geek-out of all things Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, so I guess it all evens out.

Anyhow, I sat down and looked through some of the bonus content. Wow - it is amazing. To see out-takes of scenes I have memorized practically frame-by-frame is hard to wrap my head around. For example, when Luke is recovering at the Hoth hospital and Han comes in and tells him he looks strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark, Leia is on the other side of the room. She has *always* been on the other side of the room. But now I know that scene started with her touching, dare I say caressing, Luke's wounded face before walking to the side door. It's little things like this that make all the difference and makes me glad I had a second chance from procrastinating.

No comments: