Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Finding the Doctor - Series 5

It can be overwhealming trying to figure out where to start watching a show like Doctor Who. It has been around for fifty years with so many different actors, plus all the mythology involved with things like a TARDIS, Daleks, and Sonic Screwdrivers. Where does one start?

Well we started with Series 5 of the modern Doctor Who, which is the first season of Matt Smith playing the Doctor (the 11th Doctor). We were hooked! Below are my ratings and brief reviews of this particular series.

Note that you should watch the episodes in order. It is hard enough trying to keep the time-jumping story lines straight in your head. Watching them out of order would make it impossible!

BEST OF THE SERIES

Vincent and the Doctor (210)
Incredible heart. I am mid-way through Series 6 and this is still my all time favorite episode.

FAVORITES

The Eleventh Hour (203)
This is the premiere episode of Matt Smith and Series 5. This story got us wanting to watch the next one immediately!

The Lodger (211)
This is another episode with great heart. A love story between two people and the Doctor showing his compassion for others (albiet in his own goofy way).

Amy's Choice (208)
I always enjoy a good reality-bending story. Which one is real and which one is a dream?

The Big Bang (212)
The conclusion to Series 5. It ends with a bang and had me practically jumping out of my seat cheering for more!

ENTERTAINING

The Beast Below (204)
This one has really stayed with me. If you can get past the premise of the Star Whale, it does raise some interesting ethical questions.

Time of the Angels (206) and Flesh & Stone (206)
The Weeping Angels are fantastic monsters. This is very much like the movie Aliens.

Cold Blooded (209)
This second part to the story arc started with The Hungry Earth was much better than the first part.

The Pandorica Opens (210)
It took me a little while to get into this one. For long time Who fans, I am sure the appearance of all these villains was a lot of fun. Still, it was entertaining and a great set-up for the finale, which I loved.

A Christmas Carol (213)
A Doctor Who take on the classic Charles Dickens story.

NO THANKS

Victory of the Daleks (205)
I liked the concept, but the show suffered by poor casting for Winston Churchill and it pushed a little too far into the goofy realm with propeller aircraft flying through space attacking a Dalek ship.

The Hungry Earth (209)
The is the first of a two-episode arc that introduces us to the Silurians.

STINKER

The Vampires of Venice (207)
This was my least favorite episode. I just couldn't get into it at all. I am just tired of the vampire thing as well.

No comments: