Monday, November 25, 2013

How to Read S.

Well I am almost 100 pages into S and I think I have decided on how I am going to read this book. Maybe it is my ADD talking but I can't bring myself to ignore all the marginal notes and read just the text itself. Even if I did that, there are still footnotes by the translator to look at. 

So I am reading everything on each page. This encompasses (1) the book text itself, (2) the translator's footnotes, (3) three versions of marginal notes by Jen and Eric, and (4) miscellena of inserts spread throughout the book. Perhaps if I had the audio version of the book, which covers just the text itself, I'd be able to stick with that. But too late now!

I did take these inserts out and used post it notes to flag their locations and numbered them. It makes it much easier to read the book and I can refer to them as needed. The cardboard slipcase is being put to good use in holding all this stuff.  

This is a fascinating read and one I can already highly recommend to people. I am not expecting to be able to solve the mystery or even for there to be an actual solution. Having watched all the seasons of Lost and being immensely disappointed by the conclusion, I've learned that to enjoy a J J Abrams creation, one most be more focused on enjoying the journey and less so on final resolutions. 

Oh and I strongly advise against getting the ebook version of this book. You really need the physical copy to truly experience this work - plus the production values are phenomenal!

No comments: